Turmeric is regarded as miraculous spice whose positive effects on the body are backed up by more than 600 health benefits. This is mostly due to its active compound called curcumin, which has a wide plethora of health benefits and healing properties.
But, did you know that whole turmeric can help with brain regeneration? What`s more, this ability doesn’t attribute to curcumin!
Benefits of Turmeric
- It offers strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Curcumin inhibits the molecules known to play a role in inflammation and it neutralizes free radicals
- It increases the levels of the brain hormone BDNF, which in turn stimulates the growth of new neurons and combats degenerative processes in the brain
- It lowers the risk of heart disease by improving a few risk factors for heart disease
- It helps prevent and treat cancer
- It boosts the levels of neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine, fighting off depression
- It delays aging and combats age-related conditions
An Overlooked Benefit
Aromatic-turmerone is a fat-soluble compound found in turmeric, which is often overlooked. German researchers have thoroughly studied its effects on neural stem cells and what they found was that the number of neutral stem cells increased by 80 percent when exposed to aromatic-turmerone.
In other words, a healing effect was happening. When used on rats, they created healthy new brain cells and noticed a size growth in both subventricular zone and the hippocampus.